Hello! I'm a first-year PhD student in the Media, Technology, and Society program at Northwestern University, advised by Dr. Aaron Shaw and part of the Community Data Science Collective.
My research interests center around governance (very broadly speaking: rules, admins, design, etc.) and online participation on the scale of multi-community + multi-platform analyses. Right now, I'm particularly interested in the complexity of governing large-scale social computing systems, especially platforms following decentralized modes of moderation and rule enforcement like Reddit and Wikipedia. At a high level, a lot of this is motivated by a more abstract interest in how structures become messy in reality, like the gap between rules de jure and rules de facto. I tend to utilize computational / quantitative approaches.
You can look at current projects below + see my full CV as a PDF here.
In my non-academic life, I volunteer as a tutor with the cool folks at GirlForward and like to hang around museums + take pictures on my point-and-shoot.
- 2019/09 - Began my PhD program in the MTS program at Northwestern University!
- understanding heterogeneous governance practices - The scale and lack of overarching structure on popular platforms such as Reddit and Wikipedia often result in sub-communities localizing their interpretation and enforcement of high level shared rules. Given this, rule localization by sub-communtities provides a fundamental mechanism by which governance operates in such decentralized spaces but has received little empirical attention in prior research. In ongoing work, we track and measure the extent to which shared rules diverge in practice across sub-communities to shed light on the implications of heterogeneous governance practices on regulatory effectiveness, platform accountability, and intervention possibilities.
- covid-19 digital observatory - I'm part of an ongoing project coordinated by the Community Data Science Collective and Pushshift to collect, aggregate, distribute, and document public social data from digital communications platforms re: the 2019-2020 coronavirus pandemic. More information can be found: here.
some past stuff
- Emma Bowen Summer Fellow on the Audience team @ Reveal from the Center for Investigative Reporting
- Frederic Conger Wood Summer Research Fellow @ Cornell Institute for European Studies
- B.A. @ Cornell University, double majoring in Government and Information Science.